• Welcome to Zoltar machines user forum.

News:

Visitors, members.....welcome!

Main Menu

Johnsn's Zoltar IGUS 2007

Started by johnsn, January 28, 2012, 01:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsn

Thank god for Christmas and the belonging holidays. During this time I could go on with my Zoltar IGUS 2007 and it's pretty finished right now. First let's have a look and the result:

One important goal was to have a "compact" CNC machine, where everything is put together on one trolley, so I took a MDF plate and mounted some rolls. The Linux-PC, stepper control and other electronic parts are just under the frame of the machine whereas on the top, there is the monitor, keyboard, mouse and some spare space on a rack.

In the following posts I'll present - as promised - technical data, some photos and description why and how I solved some parts of the machine different than proposed by Chris. Any comments are welcome! Have fun!

johnsn

Here we go with some technical data:

• based on the Zoltar IGUS 2007 (-> http://members.home.nl/zoltar/CNC/igussystem/igus.html)
  • Laser parts: 3mm stainless steel, some distance parts are 5mm alu
  • Frame: 90x45mm aluminium bosch rexroth profiles
  • Screws: Trapezium 12x3mm with nylatron nut
  • Stepper motors: Nema23, 1,4Nm torque, unipolar driven
  • Stepper control: PMinMO break out board for parallel port with Linistepper (http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/stepper/linistep/index.htm), schematic, layout and PCB etching done by myself
  • CNC software: EMC2 on Ubuntu 8.10
  • Movement speed: ~600mm/min, half-step mode
  • Spindle motor: Kress FME1050-1 (5000-25000 RPM)

johnsn

Frame construction:

X-Axis carriage:

Claw clutch on every motor <-> thread connection:

Ball bearings for the threads - here a simple M4 screw locks the bearings from shifting -> work perfect:

johnsn

I mounted the power stepper drivers (Linistepper) on a large heat sink, cooled by two 12cm fan. It is mounted together with two +12V switching power supplies (taken from old PCs) and a PMinMO break out board into an old ATX case.

johnsn

I drive the steppers in unipolar mode, this means, I routed a 5-pole cable with ground shielding from the drivers to the steppers. A simple DIN connector was perfect in number of pins. The end switches are connected via D_SUB9. There is an external connection for emergency stop button and the release switch. With 12V-Relais and an open collector circuit in the break out board I realized spindel on/off.

johnsn

My first attempts for profiling:

Chris@home

Hello There!

You have got that sorted well and placed it on a trolley.
Clever!

You've pretty much sticked to the plan as far as for the mechanics.
Only for what I see is a changed driveset.
That was open for personal changes of course.

A ballscrew upgrade is always an option for the future....

Anyhow, good job!
Glad you've come his far.
Now start cutting and building stuff!

Greetings,

-chris-

OldRaven

Hey,

Great to see another IGUS machine!

I will put up pictures of mine soon.

I see we used the same option for the X frame.
Plan was to use a welded frame first from 50x50 steel..  but decided it was easier to use an aluminium frame just like you did!

Cheers

Peter

johnsn

Hey Peter,
I already studied your thread on cnczone.nl before I went in for building my own machine. The idea of using alu frames was cribed by you and underlined by a friend of mine who supplied me with 45x90 alu frames for free! :)

greetz Johnsn

OldRaven

Hey ..

How's you IGUS machine doing? :P

Hope all is well..